MORGANTOWN, W.Va. – Wheeling Hospital, a 223-bed, acute-care, not-for-profit hospital affiliated with the Catholic Diocese of Wheeling-Charleston since its founding in 1850 by the first Bishop and a local physician, will become a full member of the West Virginia University Health System (WVUHS) under a Letter of Intent (LOI) that the Diocese of Wheeling-Charleston and WVUHS signed this week.
WVUHS has been managing Wheeling Hospital through a management services agreement since June 2019, with WVU Medicine senior executive Douglass E. Harrison serving as the Hospital’s Chief Executive Officer. Under the LOI, the Diocese of Wheeling-Charleston will enter into a 50-year long-term lease of Wheeling Hospital and its related facilities. The agreement also ensures Wheeling Hospital will maintain its Catholic identity as it becomes a full member of WVUHS.
As a full member of the health system, Wheeling Hospital will be part of a broad, integrated network of doctors, hospitals, clinics, and specialized institutes across West Virginia, Southwestern Pennsylvania, Western Maryland, and Ohio. Today, the WVU Health System, which operates under the brand “WVU Medicine,” has more than 20,000 employees; 2,815 providers; 22 member, managed, and affiliate hospitals; and more than 2.5 million patient visits annually.
The WVU Rockefeller Neuroscience Institute, WVU Medicine Children’s, and WVU Emergency Medicine already operate programs at Wheeling Hospital. The WVU Heart and Vascular Institute will open a clinic at the hospital in the next few weeks. Upon joining WVUHS, Wheeling Hospital